I’m not neurotic, but according to some evidence, there apparently are others who think I am. I scoff at them.
I’m not into self-help to fix the neurotic problem. It’s not that I believe people are incapable of changing. I do believe it. I just don’t think they need some self-appointed “I know you better than you know yourself and know what’s good for you” guru, trying to sell a book/video/pod cast/recording/shoe-sizing-kit, that if purchased, will only make the neurotic person a poor depressed neurotic person.
I avoid the self-help sections of the book stores. I find more help by asking the person at the help-desk or by reading humor. On the other hand, I have friends, who upon entering a bookstore, head right for the self help aisle. They know all the gurus by name, book title, income range, slogan, quoted verbiage, QRCs, and Dewey Decimal classification.
I, on the other hand know nothing, and try to keep it that way. I don’t want to be the self-improved version of me. Don’t get me wrong, I am not perfect and wouldn’t want to be. It’s just that if I’m going to be improved, I’m not going to pay someone to help me in the endeavor. It’s a free deal or leave me to my own devices, or in this case, my non-neuroses.
Knowing all of this and firmly practicing it on a daily basis has not kept me of the email list of the self-help charlatans. Some people get e-mails from relatives on the Dark Continent. Some get e-mails about incontinence or impotence with offers of cures. I get the self-help crap.
Today, alone, I have three e-mails. The first offering a free program guaranteed to make me a better someone. I am not saying a better me, because if I were to change, I don’t believe I would still be me.
In this program are offerings such as:
- 100 Free gifts from self-help gurus including but not limited to:
* Free (And Fun) 21-Day Video Organizing Boot Camp
* How To Be A Money Magnet
* JumpStart the Law of Attraction in Your Life
* Visualization Secrets for Weight Loss Success
* Turn Down The Noise In Your Mind
* Self-Esteem Booster Kit
* Destiny Secrets Ebook
- Think and Grow Rich in Just 16 pages (The first 16 pages of these books are normally them telling you how they got rich. I know how. Too many people bought in to this stuff)
- Healing and Baths (how did this one slip through?)
- 10 Ways to JumpStart the Law of Attraction in Your Life (I don’t have any jumper cables)
- Love To Manifest More Money?(This one scares me. Love to money=prostitution)
- FREE Destiny Secrets Ebook
- Turn Down The Noise In Your Mind (That noise you hear is my creativity at work)
- Self-Esteem Booster Kit (If I had anymore I’d be dangerous)
- Visualization Secrets for Weight Loss Success (I tend to visualize chocolate)
- FREE (AND FUN) 21-DAY VIDEO ORGANIZING BOOT CAMP (I’ve been organized twice in my life. One time cause severe pain all over my body. The other almost cost a friendship. Both were failures.)
Have these things begun to repeat themselves? Are the gurus running out of ideas on how to make me a better more confidant, wealthy, organized albeit poor person?
If it’s all the same to anyone reading this, I think I will remain me. Apparently a me in need of remodeling, revamping, reenergizing, reorganizing, revisualizing, self-esteem building, noisy me.
From the life and mind of: Wanda M. Argersinger
© 2013 All Rights Reserved